Friday

My Sharona by The Knack

Contrary to popular belief, My Sharona is not about pedophilia. Granted, some of the lyrics sound quite suggestive:
Oh my little pretty one, pretty one.
When you gonna give me some time, Sharona?
Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run.
Gun it comin' off the line Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. Always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind.

The Knack were, as it later turned out, singing the praises of Mishurowner, a special tea grown only in India and Basingstoke. The tea is notable for the fact that it reduces one's perception of the passing of time, hence the lyric "When you gonna give me some time, Sharona"(sic). Only the young tips of the tea leaves are used, which is why the song makes reference to "the younger kind". For reasons of melody and rhythm, "Mishurowner" became "My Sharona" in the final version of the song. So now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment